Thursday, July 12, 2012

Not ME!?

As I'm watching PBS' Black AIDS in America I'm taken back to 1988 when Vito Russo said (among other things)
"
And it's worse than a war, because during a war people are united in a shared experience. This war has not united us, it's divided us. It's separated those of us with AIDS and those of us who fight for people with AIDS from the rest of the population.

Two and a half years ago, I picked up Life Magazine, and I read an editorial which said, "it's time to pay attention, because this disease is now beginning to strike the rest of us." It was as if I wasn't the one holding the magazine in my hand. And since then, nothing has changed to alter the perception that AIDS is not happening to the real people in this country.

It's not happening to us in the United States, it's happening to them -- to the disposable populations of fags and junkies who deserve what they get. The media tells them that they don't have to care, because the people who really matter are not in danger. Twice, three times, four times -- The New York Times has published editorials saying, don't panic yet, over AIDS -- it still hasn't entered the general population, and until it does, we don't have to give a shit."

       Well, I give a shit and most of my friends on Facebook do too.

When one person has cancer, we all do. When one person has diabities, we all do.
When one person has HIV, we all do

 
 
SMART Ride 9   Rider R. J. Hadley #223
 

No comments:

Post a Comment