Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Give Up


My friend Aaron shared this on Facebook and I had to share it with YOU, my friends & readers

November 3, 2011 changed my routine in a big way: I was riding my bike (training for the upcoming SMART ride) and after a good 17 miles in rush hour traffic, just three blocks from home a hit & run driver knocked me off of my racing bike. Four hairline fractures on my hip and major bruising of my left arm forced me to use a walker for  three months.  I was tired: my heart tired and my legs hurt.

But I didn't give up. I went (ok hobbled) to the start of the SMART ride and did what I could on the campus as riders and crew showed up.

People asked "Did you see the driver and did they stop?" Well yes I did see the driver and car since I have a  rear view mirror on my helmet and with the nature of a Hit & Run, they didn't stop

Still, I didn't give up or give in.  Sure I was skittish about even walking across a busy street.
Riding one of my bikes on a daily basis is one thing I do to keep healthy & sane and that was put on hold

Despite fears, I told a group of  people that no matter what , I'll ride THIS year 2012 in the SMART ride

Much like I needed help even getting dressed with my hip fractures and NO range of motion in my arm, I got up each day, went to work and church, etc

Although Winston Churchill is known for "Never, Never, Never give up" I like his other famous (or not so famous) quote

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

------------------------------------

This November I'm riding from Miami to Key West to raise money for agencies that help people with HIV/AIDS
SMART Ride 9  Rider #223
 



No comments:

Post a Comment