Monday, August 6, 2012

Other than

Just as I hit "create a new entry" and typed in the title, this song came to mind: it's from Sesame Street (the voice of innocence and learning). The song is "One of These Things is Not Like the Others"


Three of these kids belong together
Three of these kids are kind of the same
But one of these kids is doing his (her) own thing
Now it's time to play our game
It's time to play our game. 

Through my eyes I see a world full of hate, racism, and prejudice.

In my dreams I see a world full of love, equality and acceptance. 

It is up to me and you; US to ensure these worlds will collide. This can only be accomplished by learning to embrace diversity. In order to embrace and appreciate it though, we must realize its importance

I'm a gay man, HIV positive & white while my friends are not the same.  Sure it's easy (could also mean LAZY) to keep my friends who are like me.   I did a quick check of my Facebook friends and woot: 
Let me tell you, the Untied Colors of Benneton doesn't come close.

They run full pallet of race, age, size, ethnicity, back ground, economic status, etc.
Heck, the person who said to me today, "It's not about me: I enjoy your blog"out of the blue isn't a facebook friend or some one I recognize: one of  the few people who do read this AND Remember

When I worked at a zoo outside Chicago I honestly think I had a girl friend.  A female emu would greet me at the fence,   I've even seen her run to me when my tram stopped by.  

I LOVE YOU for being YOU, not because you and I look alike, live alike, eat the same kinds of foods but because we are NOT the same. 


Who do you embrace & call FRIEND?



No comments:

Post a Comment